Photos from Guatemala

Here are some of my photos. Once you are at those pages, you can view the slideshow by clicking on the icon in the upper left-hand corner.

Arrival and Training


Swearing in and first pictures of Santa Maria Visitacion


First 3 months at Santa Maria Visitacion


Thursday, May 5, 2011

Email from Rosemary

Hey mom and dad!...
Over the weekend I went to visit my other host family, which went really well, and then on Monday it was a holiday here (World Work Day or something) and so I just cleaned my house, studied Spanish, and finished reading Help [The Help?], which another volunteer lent me.  It was so good!  
Today was an eye opening day.  I went with my counterpart and volunteers from another organization to do a survey in the poorest communities of Santa Maria about their attitudes towards the forest. It was crazy to hear how much these families lived on per month- one family of five lived on less than $118 per month.  None of them made more then they spent either, so most of the families were in debt. One of the woman interviewed is really active in the womans group here so we decided to work on a project  to help out.  She said the main problems with receiving outside help is that people just come and train them and dont give them any help to get started or train them in things that arent useful or they just give them gifts without training.  
Love,
Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment