Photos from Guatemala

Here are some of my photos. Once you are at those pages, you can view the slideshow by clicking on the icon in the upper left-hand corner.

Arrival and Training


Swearing in and first pictures of Santa Maria Visitacion


First 3 months at Santa Maria Visitacion


Thursday, February 2, 2012

December/January

January’s motto: Be open and ready for whatever happens!  This month has been just a whirlwind of activities, both good and bad, and another Peace Corps rollercoaster of emotions but it’s ending on a positive note.

First of all, Peace Corps Guatemala has been going through a lot of changes due to security issues in northern Central America.  So, this month has been stressful just learning about the new changes, but given time to think about them and as I’m not nearly as affected by them as other volunteers are, I’m okay with them.  And they are to keep us safe, which is definitely necessary.  I got a new counterpart (YAY) because a new administration came in and fired everyone from the old administration.  He’s awesome!  He actually wants to work with me and we have much better communication.  I also finally know more or less what I’m doing, which is so nice.  Only took 9 months!  But I’m working with women’s groups, making jewelry and purses out of old chip bags for them to sell, teaching English again, working with the teachers in the middle school to make gardens in the school, and teaching the Agroforestry class once a week.  It’s pretty crazy too- I just got a call saying I have funds and a group from the states who are willing to come down and help build a recycling center for the municipality.  This would be a huge project, but I would be really stupid to refuse funds and free labor.  Hopefully the mayor’s up for it!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

Let’s see…interesting things I have done…I went to the beach!  Which was so wonderful!  It made me realize that I am meant to be at the beach, no matter what.  I love Santa Maria and couldn’t be any luckier to be near Lake Atitlan, but the beach feels so comfortable.  My happy place is always St. Teresa beach in Florida so whenever I'm stressed out, I just close my eyes and pretend I'm there.  It helps a lot!  Our family vacation was SO GREAT too!  I’m moving next month too, which is going to be a relief.  Hopefully no more back problems once I get a better bed!  I will also be inheriting a cat from the other volunteer, and even though she’s a sassy cat who does what she wants, it will be nice to have a pet!

THINGS I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST YEAR OF BEING IN THE PEACE CORPS THAT I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD DO 
1.       Pick Coffee
2.       Teach a class on the carbon cycle in Spanish (hard!)
3.       Dry my underwear in a frying pan on the stove (=burnt underwear)
4.       Dry my underwear in the toaster oven (=success!)
5.       Look forward to my cup of instant coffee every day
6.       Learn how to sew a collared shirt
7.       Spend Christmas at the Earth Lodge overlooking Antigua
8.       Meet so many amazing, talented people (whether artists, musicians, dancers, writers, weavers, Guatemala’s got talent!  And it provides so much hope in spite of all the violence and drugs)
9.       Heard the national anthem of any country so many times (I think I’ve heard the Guatemalan Himno Nacional more than the national anthem of the United States)
10.   Learn to like beets and crave Moon Pies
11.  Go to a Mayan ceremony/be in a Mayan site for December 21, 2012, the beginning of a new era!
12.  Sleep in my sleeping bag for 10 months. (don't worry, I wash it a lot)  
13.  Be away from home for over a year (this one I don't like so much)
14.  Wear traje


No comments:

Post a Comment